Burke Town Board
The Town Board of Burke is the legislative, appropriating, governing and policy determining body of the town and has and exercises all such powers and duties as are conferred or imposed upon it or are necessarily incidental thereto which are consistent with the provisions of this article; provided, however, that whenever the expense of a function or activity is required by law or agreement to be a charge upon the taxable property of that part of the town outside of any village and the responsibility for the performance of such function or activity is reassigned, transferred or changed in any way pursuant to the provisions of this article, the expenses and liabilities attributable to such function or activity shall continue to be a charge upon such taxable real property outside of any village. In addition to functions, powers and duties otherwise granted to it, the Town Board of Burke shall have the following functions, powers and duties:
1. Appointment of the heads and deputies of departments of town government in cases in which such officers are appointive and the hearing and determination of charges brought by the supervisor for the removal from office of any of such appointive officers.
2. On recommendation of the supervisor, approval of budget modifications and transfers between budgetary appropriations in the annual budget or in the capital budget, if any.
3. Requiring reports from the supervisor concerning the conduct of the official business of the town and the performance by town officers and employees of their functions, powers and duties.
4. Making of studies and investigations as it deems to be in the best interests of the town and, in connection therewith, to obtain and provide for compensation for professional and technical advice, subpoena witnesses, administer oaths and require the production of books, papers and other evidence deemed necessary or material for any such study or investigation.
5. Creation of non-compensated advisory boards, each member of which shall be appointed by the town board or the supervisor, or both, as shall be specified by the town board in its action providing for the particular advisory board.
6. Determination and provision for any matter of town government not otherwise provided for, including but not restricted to, any matter necessarily involved in the transition to government of the town as a suburban town under the provisions of this article.