The administration of New York State’s Department of Agriculture & Markets Article 7, “Dog Licensing, Identification and Control of Dogs” was mandated to the Town of Burke in 2010 as set forth in Burke Local Law #1 of 2010, “The Dog Licensing and Control Law of the Town of Burke, County of Franklin.”
New York State and Burke’s Local law requires all dogs 4 months and older must be licensed. Dog owners in the Town of Burke will be fined for violations.
Getting Your Dog Licensed:
All dogs in the Town and Village of Burke must be licensed with the Town Clerk by the age of four months. A valid certificate of rabies vaccination by a licensed Veterinarian must be presented at the time of licensing or renewal of an existing license.
- Dog licenses will be issued for a period of one year and will expire on the last day of the last month of the period for which it is issued.
- Burke does not issue purebred or kennel licenses. Each dog will be licensed individually.
- No dog will be licensed without a valid rabies vaccination certificate from a Licensed Veterinarian.
- A valid spay/neuter certificate must be presented to be issued a spay/neutered license.
- Dog licenses are non transferable. If you give or sell your dog to another owner, the new owner needs to immediately apply for a new license for the dog.
- In case of the dogs death, the owner of record shall so notify the Town Clerk either prior to renewal of license or upon the time of such renewal.
To obtain or renew your dog license, visit the Town Clerk’s Office or fill out a License Application and send required documents and payment to:
- Burke Town Clerk
- P.O. Box 121
- Burke, NY 12917
Dog License Fees:
The fees for licensing dogs in Burke is set by the Town Board per resolution and has been established following the Ag & Markets Law:The Fee for altered (spayed/neutered)dogs will be $10.00. A Senior Discount (age62+) of $5.00 is offer for altered dogs. This fee for altered dogs includes a surcharge of $1.00 for the New York State Spay/ Neuter Program.
- The Fee for unaltered (unspayed/unneutered)dogs will be $18.00. A Senior Discount (age62+) of $9.00 is offer for unaltered dogs. This fee for unaltered dogs includes a surcharge of $3.00 for the New York State Spay/ Neuter Program.
- There will be no fee forany license issued for the following, as defined in Article 7 of the State Agriculture and Markets Law: guide dog, hearing dog, service dog, war dog, working search dog, detection dog, police work dog, or therapy dog. The license application shall define why the exemption is appropriate by the issuing Clerk.
- Dog license fees will be set by the Burke Town Board by resolution hereon after.
- No dog license fee will be refunded.
- If a tag is lost, the cost of a new tag will be $5.00.
- ANY DOG FOUND UNLICENSED DURING A BURKE TOWN ENUMERATION PERIOD WILL BE SUBJECT TO AN ENUMERATION SURCHARGE OF $25.00, PAYABLE AT THE TIME OF LICENSING.